Gary Butler was the CEO and President of Automatic Data Processing. He held this position from August 2006 through November 2011, and had been with the company for 37 years. From 1989 to 1995, he served as Group President for ADP's Dealer Services Group; and from 1995 to 1998 he served in the same capacity for ADP's Employer Services Group. Prior to assuming his role as CEO in 2006, Butler was President and Chief Operating Officer of the company. Butler received a bachelor of industrial engineering degree from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1968 and an MBA from the University of Georgia in 1970. He served on the boards of ADP, Liberty Mutual Group, DeVry, Inc., CIT Group, Convergys Corporation and CareerBuilder. He is a past member of Business Roundtable and The Economic Club of New York. Butler is the father of two children. He is the Senior Trustee of the Gary C. Butler Charitable Family Foundation. For more information on the Foundation, please click here.
Work at ADP
Butler led ADP's company-wide mission to be the premier end-to-end provider of human resources solutions to organizations of all sizes. He oversaw investments in new service offerings that use state-of-the-art technologies, set a path of growth that included strategic acquisitions in the U.S. and abroad, and directed the company's rapid global expansion into more than 40 countries on five continents.
Throughout his professional career, Butler has been internationally recognized and honored with several leadership awards. Top honors given to Butler include:
- Named "Provider Executive of the Year" at the 2008 HROA Gala Awards
- Listed as one of the "TopGun CEOs" by Brendan Wood International, an advisory agency, in 2009
- Honored with the Pace University "Leadership and Service in Technology Award" in 2011
ADP was presented with numerous awards and recognition while Butler served as President and CEO. Among the top honors bestowed upon ADP during Butler's tenure as top executive:
- Ranked #1 in Fortune magazine's "Most Admired in Industry Class" in 2010 and 2011
- Listed as one of the "Top 50 Companies for Diversity" and "Top 10 Companies for Latinos" by DiversityInc. magazine in 2010 and 2011
- One of the "100 Best Companies for Working Mothers" by Working Mothers magazine in 2010
- Recipient of the SAP Pinnacle award in the "Global Outsourcing Services Provider of the Year" category in 2011